Last updated on May 27th, 2016
This tutorial on how to use the new look Facebook will show you how to find your way around the new interface, where to find familiar and new look features. Facebook on your computer now looks much like that on your mobile devices so you may already be familiar with the new layout and design.
Facebook New Look Right Hand Side Menu
Facebook News Feed Filters
There is a new right hand side menu in your news feed with the appropriately named heading “News Feed”. Click on this heading and a drop-down box will list the methods of filtering your feeds to show content you choose.
The main options here are:
- All Friends – shows everything that your friends are sharing
- Following – the latest news from the Pages you like and the people you follow.
- Groups – a feed of the posts you have chosen to see (all group posts or only friends) from the groups you belong to.
- Photos – a feed that includes just photos from your friends and the Pages you like, The photos feed includes photos uploaded directly to Facebook, pictures from Instagram and recently changed profile photos.
- Music – a feed with posts about the music you listen to
- See All
Hit “See All” and a drop down list appears showing the your friends and interest lists. To manage your lists, scroll down carefully to the very bottom. I say “carefully” because the menu has a habit of toggling itself back to just the News Feed header.
As before, you can see the most recent posts but, for some reason, this is somewhere in the drop down list. I would have expected Recent Posts to be towards the top.
To get back to the main News Feed menu from any of these options click on the left menu header (for example, if you are viewing the groups feed, Click on the Groups header)
New Left Hand Side Menu
This is a more personalized menu which includes lists of pages you have created , groups you administer, apps you have installed and chat.` This same menu us visible all the time, whatever you are looking at on Facebook.
Your name appears at the top and clicking on this takes you to your own profile feed. Clicking on the padlock on your name will take you to your settings.
* Maybe not all the new features have been introduced into the new look, at the time of writing this. My own left hand menu includes different items to those advertised by Facebook.
Clicking “See More” will show you shortened lists of Pages you have liked, Groups you belong to and your apps. Clicking on the Groups, Pages and Apps headings will show you all of them. This behavior is a little unpredictable as the See More button sometimes disappears. Hopefully this bug will be sorted out soon.
Facebook New Look Chat
Chat has moved from the bottom right of the screen to the bottom left hand side.
Chat search and options are always visible at the very bottom of the left hand side. When you turn chat on you see a shortened list of chat friends in the left hand side menu. Click on “See More” at the bottom of this list or use the Scroll bar to see all friends who are available for chat.
If you have expanded the menu, by clicking on See More, to see groups and pages, you may have to scroll down to see any of the chat list.
One option we will not have is not to see more advertising. Facebook are trialing showing paid ads within our News Feeds rather than only in the sidebar. Ads such as sponsored stories can show up in any of the feeds, even the all friends feed.